Germany > Cologne/Koln: Roonstrasse Synagogue re-establishment medal, 1959; struck in bronze; not maker marked; size: 27.5mm x 31.75mm; weight: 11.2g.
Hexigonal medal identical to the hexigon within a Jewish Star of David: obverse depicts the original Synagogue on Roonstrasse, with text and images symbolizing the double commemoration - the original dates of its foundation and destruction, "Eingeweiht 1899 | Zerstört 1938" and reconstruction, below, "19Köln59" above a Menorah device.
On reverse, a stylized depiction of wandering Jews with dove and olive wreath above, and Hebrew dedication "5719  Koln".
The Roon street Synagogue was one of 5 Cologne Synagogues destroyed during Kristallnacht in 1938. It was originally built by the Cologne architects Emil Schreiterer and Bernhard Below between 1895-1899 when the city's main Synagogue on Glockengasse could not be further expanded for the growing community, and serviced the city's Reform congregation.
The German Chancellor, Konrad Adenauer, promoted the reconstruction of the Synagogue under the achitect Helmut Goldschmidt, and the Synagogue was re-dedicated on 20 September 1959 (12 days before the Rosh HaShana holiday on 2 October). The Synagogue is in use to this day, and at its entrance was displayed a Torah scroll rescued by the Catholic Priest, Gustav Meinertz, from the Glockengasse Synagogue during Kristallnacht.
מילות מפתח: מדליה מדליות בתי כנסת כנסיות יהודיות יודאיקה יודאיכה גרמניה