Menu


Germany: Inauguration original Jeschurun Synagogue (Frankfurt), tin, 1852
Item code: 0130989

Email

Sales price
Notify Me
SOLD
Description

Germany > Frankfurt: Inauguration medal of [original] Jeschurun Synagogue in Frankfurt (on Rechneigrabenstraße and Schützenstraße), 1852; struck in tin; not maker-marked; size: 39mm; thickness: 4.25mm; weight: 29.2g.

Obverse depicts detailed façade of the Synagogue with legend in Hebrew around edge, "Yeshurun House of Worship of the Holy Congregation of Frankfurt Damain (sic)", and further legend in exergue: "Established on the Second day of the New Month [abbreviated 'de Rosh Khodesh'] of Iyar | Dedicated to Keepers of His Covenant and His Witnesses | [abbreviation for 'Le Prat Katan' - for when the Hebrew date is written shorthand]".

On reverse 8 lined legend in German with Gregorian (1852) and Hebrew (1852) dates below: "Denkmünze Bei Erbauung Einer Synagoge Für Die Jsraelitische Religionsgesellschaft zu Frankfurt am Main" ("Medal For Inauguration of a Synagogue of the Israelite Religious Community of Frankfurt am Main"); the inauguration date was 21 April 1852, and the architect was the builder and carpenter J. W. Renk. Medallic strike with traces of original luster and shiny patina - may have been issued in proof state.

This was the first Synagogue established by the 'neo Orthodox' Jewish 'sect' founded by Rabbi Samson (Shimshon) Raphael Hirsch, on Schutzen and Rechneigraben strasse (for old Synagogues in Germany, street locations are as important as their names in identifying them): Hirsch headed an Orthodox-oriented community known in German as the "Israelitische Religionsgesellschaft" (IRG), also known as "Adat Jeshurun" (for legal reasons the German name had to be "association") and strove to keep it separate from the Reform movement around him, hence the name he chose - Yeshurun ("straight/honest").

Disagreement and rivalry between the Reform and Orthodox communities in Frankfurt expressed itself as series of new larger and more impressive Synagogues being built on different streets of the city. In this instance the Synagogue on Schützen Street enjoyed the financial assistance of the Rothschild family, and included a schoolhouse and a 'mikveh' (religious womens' bathing room). The community in time because a sect of Orthodox Judaism which has since branched out and founded other 'Yeshurun' Synagogues around the world.

מילות מפתח: מדליה מדליות בתי כנסת כנסיות יהודיות יודאיקה יודאיכה גרמניה