Netherlands > Hertogenbosch: Bosch Synagogue "Bernardus Hartogensis" Foundation Synagogue restoration commemorative medal, 1994; silver .925; not maker-marked (mint marks present); size: 45.5mm; weight: 58.3g.
Obverse depicts the coat of arms of the Hertogenbosch municipality with Dutch legend around edge, "Stichting Bossche Synagoge Bernardus Hartogensis".
On reverse a nine-pronged Jewish 'menorah' with legend below "Restauratie Synagoge 1994". In proof with light handling marks. The region is known by the short-form "Den Bosch" (rather than Hertogenbosch) - meaning "the forest" - hence the name of the Synagogue.
Jews lived in this area since at least 1558, gaining full civil rights in 1796; several Synagogues existed in the area though in 1823 Bernard Hartogensis (1793-1870) established one on his estate, and became the main Synagogue of southern Netherlands. Hartogensis donated the land to the Jewish community and paid for the construction himself.
The Synagogue was redesigned in 1886 by the Jewish architect Isaac Gosschalk, and rebuilt in 1937 as the community's meeting hall and secondary Synagogue as a newer one replaced it in 1938. In 1989 the Foundation was established to restore the original 1823 Synagogue which had delapitated into poor state; restoration work began in 1994 and ended in 1999. The restored building was reopened in 1996 as a musical theater. The Synagogue's founder may be related to Joseph Hartogensis, who painted and engraved the Synagogue of Rotterdam.
מילות מפתח: מדליה מדליות בתי כנסת כנסיות יהודיות יודאיקה יודאיכה הולנד